The best remedy I've found to get the smell out is to:
- Dampen a clean dish rag.
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally on the rag and in the microwave.
- Clean microwave thoroughly with baking soda.
- Take a microwaveable glass cup or mug and fill half way with white vinegar.
- Boil the vinegar in the microwave for 5 minutes. The smell of the vinegar will be quite strong, but it will disappear.
- Odors can get in the vent. If you have a removable filter in your microwave vent, take it out and clean it with good soapy water and let air dry.
- Place a box (or a small dish) of baking soda in the microwave to absorb any remaining odors.
Nancy - your How To Homemaker